Tuesday 24 March 2015

Wearable Artworks

I love the idea of getting my artwork out to people who wouldn't normally buy or be able to afford to buy original artwork. When I came to work on a new Steampunk costume I decided that I wanted to make some fabric wrist cuffs to wear which featured some of my wearable artwork so I thought I'd have a go at printing some myself!

I couldn't resist carving an octopus tentacle for a linocutprint. Its a very simple image but looks great printed onto fabric. I used the softcut lino so that I could cut out the shape of the tentacle and therefore didn't have to carve out the unwanted background. Heres me getting messy inking up the lino printing plate or tentacle!


 Lots of tentacles printed onto scraps of fabric, once I get printing I can't stop!
Once the ink was dry dry I started making! This is the one I made for myself with a ruffle at the wrist which matches my new green elf leaf skirt!


 Once I got started making of course I had to make a few more!

Purple Octopus Tentacle Cuff

 And a few more! These are available in my Folksy shop.
Steampunk Tentacle Fabric Cuffs
  I've even managed to make use of my huge tin of buttons too!
 With a little bit of left over printing ink I even printed a tentacle tote bag too!
Tentacle Tote Bag

I was enjoying making them so much I thought I'd try a few different coloured printing inks and also some of my cog linoprinting plates!

Steampunk Cogs Fabric Cuff


Green Steampunk Cog Fabric Cuff

I'm having great fun making them so should be making some more very soon!

Clare xx

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, what fabulous cuffs! Such a lovely idea to get your artwork printed into something wearable!
    I love that you used buttons as the clasp too. I'm a big fan of buttons! I've got to say though, the first cog cuff is probably my favourite!

    ReplyDelete